Week 13 Story: An Eye for an Eye

Kylie stepped out of her car and walked up to the brick sidewalk leading to the front door. She rang the doorbell and waited, looking through the window to make sure someone was home. All of a sudden, she saw a golden retriever running to the window, followed by a person. The door swung open.

"Hey, Emma! Thank you so much for letting me keep my car here while I'm gone," Kylie said.

"No problem. We have plenty of space in the garage." Emma smiled, taking the keys from Kylie.

"When are you coming back from your Mom's?" asked Emma.

"I'll only be in New York for a week, I'll swing by and pick it up next Thursday," Kylie told her.

"Sounds great, I'll see you then, have fun!" Emma gave her a hug and closed the door.

The next day, Emma took Kylie's car to the car dealership and sold it. She hated going behind Kylie's back but she really needed the money for college. Her family told her not to tell anyone, but they were going through some huge financial issues, and they wouldn't be able to pay for her to go to Columbia anymore. Columbia had been her dream since she was little and she had already been accepted so she could not dream of going anywhere but there.

Emma took the $62,000 cash that the car dealer gave her and hid it where no one could find it. She was relieved to have a chunk of money for tuition, but the hardest part was going to be lying to Kylie.

The next week, Kylie's Uber dropped her off at Emma's. She had a great time with her mom but was so excited to be home. She walked up to the brick sidewalk to the front door and rang the doorbell, waiting for Emma to answer. However, when Emma answered the door, she looked like she had seen a ghost.

"What's wrong?" asked Kylie.

"Kylie.... I am so sorry. One day we were all at my grandma's house and our house was robbed. They took so many things: a ton of my mom's jewelry, my dad's nice gold clubs, our TV, " Emma hesitated and took a deep breath, her heart beating a million miles an hour. "and your car."

"Oh no! I am so sorry to hear about that. Don't worry about the car, that's why I have insurance," Kylie reassured her.

 "Thank goodness, I was so worried you would be mad," Emma said with a huge sigh of relief. "Let me drive you home."

On the way home, Kylie couldn't help but think of what happened. Emma was one of her best friends and she loved her to death, but she wasn't dumb. She knew Emma was trying to keep what was going on with her family under wraps, but she wasn't doing a very good job. Not going to Columbia was destroying her, so Kylie wasn't surprised to see that her car was gone.

The next day, Kylie was watching Emma's golden retriever, Luna, because her family had plans to go out of town for the weekend. The day they came home, Kylie took Luna to her sister Katie's house and asked her to watch her for the rest of the day.

On their way home, Emma and her family stopped by Kylie's to pick up Luna. When Kylie answered the door, she told her that she took Luna on a walk and she ran away after a squirrel and she couldn't find her anywhere.

"That's bull! You're lying! Where is Luna?" Emma screamed, filled to the brim with anger.

"I'm serious! I am so sorry Emma, I can still help look with you."

Emma's dad had seen that the two girls were fighting from the car and came down to ask what was wrong. Emma was very quick to accuse Kylie of purposefully letting Luna go or giving her away.

"This is so ridiculous. Just tell me where my dog is, Kylie." Emma demanded.

"You're right, Emma. It is ridiculous. But do you know what else is? You telling me that my car was stolen from your house. I know very well it wasn't."

Emma's face went cold. She was not expecting that response from Kylie. She had been caught.

"Emma, what is she talking about?" Emma's dad asked.

Kylie explained what happened and that Luna was in good hands. Emma's dad apologized for the inconvenience and turned to Emma.

"You are buying that car back for her, no questions asked, before we get Luna back."

Emma and her dad left, and the next day Kylie had her car back. Kylie hated the way she had to go about it but was glad that Emma learned to be honest with her friends.



Author's Note:
The original story I used to write this was one of the short stories from "The Giant Crab and Other Old India Tales." In the original, a man dropped off his plough at a friend's house to watch while he was gone, and his friend sold it. When he came back to get it, he told him that the plough had been eaten by rats. The man teaches his friend a lesson by doing the same thing that Kylie did with Emma's dog- only it was his son. He told his friend that a hawk had come and swooped him up and taken him away. The friend was furious and took him to court, where the man told the judge about his plough and the rats. The friend had been caught in what he did and had to get the plough back. I kept the same concept of the story but made it a more modern setting.



Bibliography: The Giant Crab and Other Tales from Old India, by W. H. D. Rouse

Comments

  1. Oh my god. A $62,000 car. She drives a really nice car. I thought I have had issues with friends, but I have never dealt with anything like this. Your story is really good! You make Emma, who is so obviously in the wrong, understandable. I still wish she would have tried other options but money can make people crazy. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah,
    I really liked how you made your story more modern by talking about cars, Ubers, and colleges like Columbia. I can not believe that Emma sold Kylie's car! Then Kylie held Emma's dog captive basically until she told the truth. These are some crazy girls. I wonder if these girls were still friends after this. Also that golden retriever was so cute!
    Your classmate,
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the modernization in your story! I think this kind of language makes it more relatable and better to understand as a reader. Your story was easy to follow and I liked it! I also liked how you handled its message and the dogs. These girls seem crazy I don't think I would be able to keep up in real life lol. Good job and I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hannah!
    I think the modern twist on this story makes it more relatable. I actually wasn't expecting this story from the title, as I know there are so many instances of an "eye for an eye" in the stories we've read, but it fit so well and I enjoyed it! It's also nice how you made it more about a lesson than revenge, because Kylie just made it look like Luna had been lost but everything turned out ok in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good story. There are a lot of details involving their feelings towards one another, and although they are good friends, it's odd to see that Kylie knows Emma took/sold her car and she's not absolutely pissed about it. Like...even if best friends that is an awful thing to do. At least when Kylie told Emma her dog was missing it wasn't actually missing, this is something unforgivable. I wish Kylie was way more mad about this than "I know she's going through stuff".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts