Lab, Week 10

I always love watching Tedx Talks videos. Every single one that I have watched, someone talks about an idea or belief or points out a unique perspective of an idea that we are already familiar with as a culture. These two videos were no exception.

In the first video, "A New Theory of Human Intelligence",  Scott Barry Kaufman talks about how the education system is flawed because in the education system, we tend to look more at our past achievements and successes and how great they are on a scale, rather than seeing a person's potential and desire to achieve more. He tells about his personal experience in the education system and how his disabilities initially rejected him (multiple times) and how he used creativity to go outside the box and achieve what he wanted to. Scott believes that we need to extend our borders and expectations on what is good and what isn't and we need to make a better effort to help kids achieve their goals in different ways unique to them. And I completely agree with him.

I honestly never really thought of this until I watched his video, but it makes absolute sense when you think about it. People learn in several different ways, have several different abilities and challenges and different combinations of them. Our scale that we use to determine a child's ability to succeed is incredibly narrow, and there is a lot that we can do to improve. I think that the growth mindset can also be tied in with this theory because if a child doesn't fall high enough on this narrow scale of things, there is a natural tendency for them to believe that they aren't good enough. But what if they are just as good, just in a different way? I understand that there is a need for testing and a standardized curriculum, but I definitely think that we could do more to adhere to different strengths and weaknesses of children (and everyone else) to improve.

In the second video, "Copyright is Brian Damage," Nina Paley talks about the effects of copyright on the mind. She centers her discussion on her movie, Sita Sings the Blues and the hoops that she went through to get it copyrighted, only to figure out that it doesn't actually benefit the author/creator as much as one would expect. Nina argues that culture is based on knowledge, thoughts, and ideas being received and passed on through people. This process creates a network in one's mind. However, copyright insinuates a permission culture, which means that we censor the information that we transmit after we receive it.

I never thought of copyright in this way. Copyright has always been something that I have been aware of, and have always thought that it just makes sure that the author gets credit for their ideas. There have been plenty of times where I have wanted to use a piece of work for a project and thought to myself "Wait, I'm not sure if I can use this." This thought is usually followed by me getting sad because that piece of work would fit perfectly into mine, and I usually settle on something that I don't want to use nearly as much as what I initially wanted to use. But does that hinder the success of my work? In this class especially, when I initially google a picture that I would like to use on my blog, I see TONS  of pictures that would be perfect to use, but when I switch to "labeled for reuse" my selection goes down tremendously, and I often have to settle on a different picture. I think that being a copyright abolitionist like Nina takes practice and courage because I do have a fear of "getting in trouble" for using something that does not belong to me. I think that as long as we give the author credit we should be able to use different pieces of work with no problem.



Comments

Popular Posts