Feedback Strategies

The two articles that I found really interesting from the group given to us were "Be a Mirror" and "Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise?". I found these two articles particularly interesting not only because of the argument and information each of them give, but also because they are somewhat applicable to me.

I volunteer with CAR (Champions Are Readers), reading weekly with kindergarteners to help improve their reading skills. We work with the same kids each week so we can develop a relationship with them, and the one on one reading time helps individualize their practice. I could definitely use the five qualities that the article discusses when I'm reading with the kids to help them reflect on their reading practice and seeing how they can improve.

I also thought that the "Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise?" article was super interesting, not because I am a manager, but because I have one. I've been working since I turned sixteen and although I do not have much to complain about (I mean, there's a little, who doesn't have ANY negative things to say about their job?) I think it was very interesting to see the statistics of feedback from managers from more of a manager's point of view. I definitely think that giving BOTH positive and negative feedback is essential in keeping employees accountable for their actions and improving in areas where it's needed in addition to keeping them motivated. Giving positive feedback definitely keeps the work environment more positive overall, but negative is essential as well.


Comments

Popular Posts