Reading Notes: The Foolish, Timid Rabbit

I loved the idea of the Foolish Timid Rabbut because it is such a classic story that I am already familiar with. The concept of the main character making a small mistake that snowballs to affect everyone else is a concept that can be manipulated in several different ways to get a similar plot.

One way that I would change the story is to not make it about animals, because the different animals, although very creative, is one of the primary concept of both the Indian and English versions of the stories. Therefore, changing it to be people in a specific setting such as a school, a town, or another social setting would make it very unique.

Another almost identical similarity between the two is the fact that the main character is sitting under a tree of some sort when something falls and they think that the world is falling apart/the sky is falling. I would like to keep a similar idea but change the plot a little bit to make it unique. One way I think this would be interesting is to place the story in a present or future setting and possibly make it apocalyptic.

The dialogue is also a key factor of the stories, so I would like to keep that aspect of it the same. However, I also think that it would be beneficial to add a little bit of an introduction of the time and place at the beginning and a little more detail in between as well. This will paint a more clear picture of the setting and the importance of the fear that the "world is falling apart" feeling of the main character.

The last important part I think is the way that the ending is executed. As with the intro, the conclusion is an integral part of any story, and if not executed correctly, it can leave a potentially wonderful story with a bad "aftertaste".  I will have to be very careful in my wording for the ending



Bibliography:
Jakata Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt



Comments

Popular Posts